Monday, December 19, 2011

"I should've brought you a sedative." -- Medicine in the Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Holmes and Moriarty meet in person for the first time.
A good scene.
[SPOILER ALERTS]

My holiday break just started and naturally the first holiday movie I saw this season was Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.  This is the sequel to the 2009 film Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, certainly one of my top pair of actors to play Holmes and Watson.  The story is based partially on Doyle's The Final Problem which ends with Holmes and Moriarty falling over Reichenbach Falls.  This was a highly enjoyable movie and a great way to start my break.

That being said, medical fact, as usual, takes a backseat in Hollywood.  Nothing major in this film.  Only that Holmes drinks formaldehyde, a pretty significant poison.  According to the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry, as little as 1 oz. of a 37% solution of formaldehyde is lethal.  The chemically affluent Holmes would have known that.

Holmes also has a cardiac arrest in the movie, although I am not sure why.  He was injured and ran through a German forest while under a lot of heavy fire but he didn't bleed out that much.  Nevertheless, it was fortunate that Watson had Holmes' wedding present, a shot of adrenal gland extract.

Overall, neither of these events in the movie were that significant.  As before, the film paid a lot of respect to Doyle's stories while bringing a fresh take that is lead in large by Downey's interpretation of the character.  Also, Stephen Fry as Mycroft Holmes was a definite plus.        

1 comment:

  1. Thank God! I finally found a review that speaks positively about the movie instead of completely talking trash! I liked the movie and I am happy to see some1 is saying good things about it. It took me reading thru 5 reviews till I came across this 1. And I think the previous ones I read should be grounds for termination of the reviewers due to the sorry job they did!!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete