Saturday, July 30, 2011

Pharmacology Review via The X-files

I know it seems like I've been watching a lot of TV lately but I've been working on another book and my project for my externship.   I was watching the episode  "Eve" of The X-files and, despite the myriad scientific mistakes, I found a minor medical mistake that I can't let go of.  During the episode, Mulder mentions that traces of digitalis are found on the victims that is from a South american plant and used as a paralytic.  Mulder is clearly referring to curare, not digitalis.  Curare is a nicotinic acetylcholine receptor antagonist, blocking the signals for muscle contraction.  Curare is used in arrows by indigenous South Americans to paralyze victims/prey.

That being said, digitalis is from the foxglove plant as mentioned in the episode.  However the foxglove plant is found in Europe, Asia, and some of Africa.  It contains a cardiac glycoside that inhibits the Na+/K+-ATPase.  This removes the Na+ gradient that is necessary to drive Na+/Ca2+ exchange.  Ca2+ remains in the cardiac myocyte prolonging contraction.  Digitalis has been used in congestive heart failure in the past but has been replaced with much safer medications.

Now, I probably couldn't let this go because pharmacology and physiology are some of my favorite aspects of medicine.  That doesn't mean the episode was not enjoyable (in fact, it was highly enjoyable).  As an avid fan of science-fiction, suspending disbelief and forgiving understandable mistakes is routine for me.  What I really am there for is the story and the characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment